As part of our active travel initiative, we are taking part in a competition. We invite you to create a poster that highlights the reasons why pupils should get moving to and from school. The winning three pieces have the chance to be published.
If you would like to take part, please send these into your class teacher before Friday 23rd March.
As part of our Healthy School Plus work, the School Council are running a project with the aim of achieving a Modeshift stars award.
Modeshift STARS is the national schools awards scheme that has been established to recognise schools that have demonstrated excellence in supporting cycling, walking and other forms of sustainable travel.
Why is Westerhope taking part?
Healthier pupils – by encouraging active, healthy lifestyles for young people through more walking and cycling
Safer pupils – identifying issues and improving the quality of the environment around your school
Involving the whole school community –working together to make a difference
School Travel Plan – Which will deliver signifcant time and costs savings
National Accreditation - certificate and use of the nationally recognised logo
Changing behaviour –to reduce car use and increase the number of children walking, cycling and using public transport on the journey to and from school
To achieve this award we are going to be:
1) The School Council will carry out a route audit
2) There will be special assemblies about road safety
3) The School Council will run a competition to design signs to display on the main roads
4) We will be exploring ways to make the roads safer for our children to come to school
5) Children and parents will have the opportunity to take part in training for bikes and scooters.
If you have any suggestions about how we can promote active travel and road safety, please contact us using the form below. Thank you for your support.