Newcastle City Council School Meal Menus April 2022
FREE SCHOOL MEAL (UNIVERSAL)
All children from Reception to Year 2 are entitled to a free school meal (universal). We would encourage all families to take up this option. Please note that dinner money is currently £2.20 per day (£11.00 per week), £2.10 for Nursery children. All dinner monies must be paid on the Parentpay system. Dinner money must be paid in advance and in your child's account by Monday morning. Thank you
FREE SCHOOL MEAL APPLICATION
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get one of the qualifying benefits and they are:
- in government-funded education full time up to the age of 19, or
- in a nursery class or nursery school and attending for full days.
You will need to get one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
If your child qualifies for free school meals, they’ll get them until they finish the phase of schooling (first, primary or secondary) they’re in on 31 March 2022. Children attending middle or high schools on 31 March 2022 will get them until they finish Year 11. They’ll get them even if you stop getting the qualifying benefit.
After this date, your child will only continue to get free school meals if you get one of the benefits.