Art and Design is a way of expressing ideas, feelings and observations creatively using a range of materials.
Art and Design is a rich and varied subject which stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual as well as tactile sensory experiences and allows children to understand and respond to the world around them.
Through Art and Design we aim to provide a safe and nurturing environment where children are encouraged to experiment and take creative risks, where they can explore materials, develop their practical skills and learn to think critically.
We aim to:
- Provide opportunities for children to share and discuss their own work and the work of others.
- Allow children time to create, problem solve and review and refine their work.
- Teach children skills and processes with a range of materials.
- Allow children to explore the potential of different materials and make independent discoveries. Allow children to use their own ideas to create work that is valued.
- Provide an environment where children feel safe taking risks.
- Give children knowledge and information about art and artists, both male and female and from different backgrounds, times and places.
- Support children to make links between Art and Design and their learning in other subjects.
- Give children opportunities to visit an art gallery or work with a local artist.
- Give children opportunities to appreciate their own cultural heritage and that of others.