Design Technology at Westerhope
Design and Technology is a way of thinking creatively to solve a problem.
Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. That encourages children to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
- National Curriculum
We encourage children to identify a problem and work either individually or as part of a team to solve that problem. We encourage the children to take risks, be resourceful, resilient, creative and use logic to develop ideas.
We appreciate that DT is a problem solving-led subject and we seek to answer fundamental questions such as:
- What is the problem?
- How can it be solved?
- What is this product used for?
- What material is this product made from?
- Why has the product been made from the material?
- How has the product been made?
We have planned the curriculum based on the:
- National Curriculum requirements
- The essential knowledge/cultural capital we believe to be important to support children moving into the wider world.
- DT skills and key concepts, which are progressive and transferable, and will be built upon each year.
- Following research we have purchased Kapow Primary DT to use for our skills progression, knowledge organisers and lesson plans. In addition to this, we take part in the Primary Engineer Leaders' Award projects throughout the year.