Design Technology at Westerhope
Design and Technology is a way of thinking creatively to solve a problem.
Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. That encourages children to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
- National Curriculum
We encourage children to identify a problem and work either individually or as part of a team to solve that problem. We encourage the children to take risks, be resourceful, resilient, creative and use logic to develop ideas.
We appreciate that DT is a problem solving-led subject and we seek to answer fundamental questions such as:
- What is the problem?
- How can it be solved?
- What is this product used for?
- What material is this product made from?
- Why has the product been made from the material
- How has the product been made?
We have planned the curriculum based on the:
- National Curriculum requirements
- The essential knowledge we believe to be important
- DT skills and key concepts, which are progressive and transferable, and will be built upon each year.
- Following research we have purchased Kapow Primary DT to use for our skills progression, knowledge organisers and lesson plans.